Saturday, January 31, 2015

Good Eats: January Round-Up

It's hard to believe it's almost February already!  Last month I shared my December Good Eats Round Up so I'm back with my January Good Eats Round Up. This month I'm including a well-known NYC bakery, a Mexican restaurant that has been my go to spot and a Chinese restaurant.

1) Breads Bakery

After seeing countless Instagram photos and reading reviews of the rugelach and babka I knew I had to check out Breads Bakery for my self. The bakery & coffee shop is located in the heart of union square. When you first enter you go into sensory overload with all of the delicious baked good. Then there is a bunch of tables and in the back of the space is a counter where you can order sandwiches, quiches, coffee etc. The atmosphere was low-key and casual and has a typical coffee shop vibe with some people on laptops and it was a nice place to grab a casual bite to eat on a sunday morning. I decided to get the onion and leak quiche and my friend and I shared the chocolate and nutella babka. I really enjoyed the quiche, but I was most excited to try the babka, which truly lived up to the hype. The babka not only looks beautiful, but the chocolate and nutella gives the babka a flavor boost. The Breads Bakery service was great and a staff member who was cleaning our table took the babka and cut it for us and put in to go bags so my friend and I could both bring some babka home with us. I
will definitely keep Breads Bakery in mind whenever I'm craving pastries.  

Han Dynasty is a chain chinese restaurant with locations throughout the east coast. I went with a friend for an early dinner on a friday night. We got to the restaurant around 6:30 PM and had about a 30 minute wait. We decided to order scallion pancakes as an appetizer, Dan Dan noodles and cumin style chicken. I always love scallion pancakes and these did not disappoint. They were light and not as greasy as most scallion pancakes. The Dan Dan noodles were outstanding as well. The noodles had a kick, but were extremely flavorful. I also enjoyed the cumin style chicken, which was a little spicy but the cumin, bell peppers and chicken worked extremely well to ether. The meal was very filling and also a great value for the money. The portions were so big that there was enough for me to bring home leftovers. The meal in total was $30 so we each paid $15. 

Photo Courtesy of: Glenwood
Photo Courtesy of: Dulce Bee NYC
In the few months since I moved to New York City El Mitote has quickly become my go-to spot when going out to eat with my family and friends. My mom and I first discovered El Mitote when I was moving into my apartment. We ended up deciding to grab lunch there. I got shrimp tacos that first visit. I have gone back to a few other times with various friends. Everything on the menu is affordable and delicious. They serve delicious margaritas in mason jars, which of course I adore. I love the bright and colorful decor and definitely recommend El Mitote to anyone looking for a fun and causal spot to get dinner with a group of friends, but just keep in mind the space is not that big so during the dinner rush it can be hard to get a table. I'm looking forward to when the weather is warmer and taking advantage of an the outdoor tables. Nothing is better than a cold margarita and guacamole on a warm summer night! 
             

No comments:

Post a Comment