Monday, January 5, 2015

Good Eats-Quinoa Recipe Suggestions...

As I mentioned in my new year's goal blog post I've made a commitment this year to eating healthier so I thought I would share with you some great quinoa recipe suggestions.

Quinoa is perfect accompaniment to your meat or seafood dishes, is a great source of protein and is easy to cook.  I love that Quinoa is extremely versatile so you can let your imagination go wild and come up with all different fun and creative ways to use it.

One of my favorite ways to use quinoa is "quinoa bowls'', a variation the chipotle rice bowls. I love Chipotle's brown rice bowl, when I was working in the city there was a Chipotle a block away from my office so I was getting rice bowls at least once a week so making quinoa bowls is great way for me to  satisfy my craving for chipotle rice bowl and is healthier and more cost effective, so basically a win-win.

Quinoa Bowl Ideas: 

1)Thai Chicken Coconut Quinoa Bowls- 
Recipe courtesy of: Fabtastic Eats




















When I first moved into my apartment I wanted to start trying out some of the  recipes I had accumulated on my pinterest boards so I decided to off with the Thai Chicken Coconut Quinoa Bowl from Fabtastic Eats blog. The coconut quinoa turned out perfectly and I loved the flavor that the light coconut milk gave the quinoa. While the recipe was pretty easy to follow and used basic ingredients found at any grocery store I struggled with step eight, which says to put the reserve marinade into a saucepan until liquid reduces and is thick and shiny. I don't know if I had the temperature set too high or left the sauce on the stove too long or both, but the sauce ended up burning a little bit and stuck to the bottom of the pot I was using. In the end I had a delicious home cooked meal and loved how the colors of the quinoa, chicken, pineapple and cilantro garnish looked all together.


2) Sesame Kale Glow Bowl


Recipe & Picture Courtesy of: The Glowing Fridge



















I found this recipe on Pinterest. I have never tried tempeh, but always been curious to try it and I think that this would be a good recipe to test it out. I also think the sauce seems very interesting. The recipe calls for combining: soy sauce, water, lime juice, ginger and red pepper flakes, which I think will create a unique flavor combination. This seems like a flavorful and very healthy recipe.

Quinoa Salad Ideas:

1) Kale & quinoa salad with dried cranberries, walnuts and feta


Picture & Recipe Courtesy of: Sweet Caroline's Cooking
















I love cranberry, walnut and feta salads so combined with a little crunch from the quinoa and kale this salad is right up my alley. I also like that this recipe uses a lot of the same ingredients as the sesame kale glow bowl, which means that making both recipes the same week is a good way to use up the ingredients.

2) Black Bean & Sweet Corn Quinoa Salad

Photo & Recipes Courtesy of: Mel's Kitchen Cafe














Corn and black bean salads are always a big hit so the addition of quinoa makes the salad more filling and the quinoa provides a nice color contrast to the colors of the yellow corn, black beans and cilantro garnish. This salad would be a great side dish to a simple fish dish or with a grilled chicken breast.

Additional Suggestions:

1) Quinoa, Avocado & shrimp 
Photo & Recipe Courtesy of: Iowa Girl Eats

This is similar to the black bean and corn salad above, but this recipe also includes: shrimp, pomegranate arils, oranges, avocado and a great homemade lemon vinaigrette. I like that this recipe incorporates fruit as well, which means you are getting veggies, fruit and protein all in one dish. 



2) Quinoa Burger
Photo & Recipe courtesy of: Eating Well Living Thin

















This sounds like a cross between a veggie burger and potato pancake, what could be better! the combination of cheese (cheddar cheese and cottage cheese) along with carrots, scallion and quinoa this recipe sounds like a delicious and very healthy burger option. I also like the recipe suggests tzatziki sauce on top of the burger, which I think would offer a nice compliment to the flavors of the burger. This would go nicely with some homemade sweet potato fries and maybe a green veggie such as broccoli or roasted brussels sprouts. 

What are your favorite quinoa recipes. Share with me in the comments section below.



No comments:

Post a Comment