Friday, January 23, 2015

Good Eats Review: Skinnytaste.com

Top- Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps, Botton Left- Spinach and feta stuffed chicken, Bottom Right- Thai coconut curry shrimp


One of my favorite food blogs is Skinnytaste. Gina's blog has had tremendous success because all of her recipes use easy to find ingredients and are quick and easy to make. I really like that all the recipes are healthy and lightened up versions of classic dishes, such as chicken enchiladas, turkey chili and Shrimp pad thai. After looking at all of Gina's recipes for so long I was really excited to finally give a few recipes a try. 

1) Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps- I'm a big fan of lettuce wraps. I had only had asian lettuce wraps before trying this recipe so I was excited to try something new.  The different spices: garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and paprika made the ground turkey very flavorful. The recipe was very easy to make, I made this during a weeknight and start to finish this recipe took me around 30 minutes. I found the hardest part of this was separating the iceberg lettuce leaves. The lettuce leaves kept wanting to break on me, 

2) Spinach and feta stuffed chicken- This recipe is a cross between the Skinnytaste recipe and a Semi-Homemade Trader Joe's recipe. I followed the skinnytaste recipe instructions for the spinach and feta filling, but then instead of actually breading the chicken myself I used trader joe's breaded chicken breasts. I microwaved the chicken breasts for a few minutes  put some of the spinach and feta stuffing in the middle and rolled the chicken breasts. The Trader Joe's breaded chicken didn't roll as nicely as fresh skinless boneless chicken breasts would have, but in the end they still worked. After stuffing the chicken breasts I baked at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. I served with mashed potatoes. I had leftover filling, which I decided to combine with some of the leftover ground turkey from the lettuce wraps and some brown rice, which made a delicious lunch. 

3) Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp- This recipe is 3 for 1. This is also a semi-homemade trader joe's recipe, thai recipe and a Skinnytaste recipe. Instead of buying a bag of frozen shrimp I decided to get the trader joe's shrimp stir fry. I also got the trader joe's red curry sauce so I altered the skinny taste recipe a little bit and since the sauce included coconut milk I didn't add extra coconut milk. I followed the recipe pretty much exactly except I didn't have cilantro so that didn't get added at the end. I served along with some brown rice. I'm looking forward to using the extra red curry sauce with some veggies next week. 

Gina not only has a successful blog, but also a New York Times best selling cookbook, which I'm looking forward to purchasing this weekend. You can find the cookbook on amazon or Barnes & Noble


No comments:

Post a Comment