Friday, January 9, 2015

Quick & Easy Spaghetti Squash Recipes

Happy Friday! Today I thought I would share some recipes using spaghetti squash, which is a healthy alternative to pasta. Spaghetti squash doesn't taste exactly the same as pasta it's actually a little sweeter, which I enjoy because in my opinion the sweeter the better. Spaghetti squash is extremely versatile and can be used in countless ways.  I thought I would start by sharing with you a technique for cooking spaghetti squash and then I'll share some quick and easy recipes.

I personally always roast my spaghetti squash whole. I preheat the oven to 375°F, poke some holes all around the spaghetti squash and then roast it in the oven for an hour or until a fork inserts easily through the skin. Then once the spaghetti squash has cooled off you cut it in half and scoop out the seeds and "guts" then you use a fork to separate the strands of spaghetti squash from the flesh of the shell. More tips for cooking spaghetti squash can be found here.

1) Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai- 
Recipe & picture courtesy of: A Couple Cooks




















I love pad thai so I really like the idea of making a healthier version.  I also think the combination of sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, green onions and cilantro will give the spaghetti squash a nice flavor boost. Another nice thing about this recipe is that you can use whatever leftover meat, poultry or seafood you have in your refrigerator to give your meal some added protein. 


2) Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs- 
Picture & recipe courtesy of: Eating Well




















In my opinion nothing beats spaghetti and meatballs on a cold or rainy night.  This spaghetti squash and turkey meatball recipe from Eating Well is a great way to make my favorite comfort food without eating a lot of calories. While homemade meatballs are always amazing if you don't have time to make homemade meatballs you can always simplify this recipe by using store bought meatballs.

3) Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi 
Photo & recipe courtesy of: Paleo Grubs




















Shrimp recipes are always great because they are always quick, which is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. Using spaghetti squash instead of pasta is a great way to make a classic dish such shrimp scampi healthier. I also like that this is a flavorful and filling meal, which demonstrates that eating healthy doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself of delicious food.

4) Spaghetti Squash Primavera
Photo & recipe courtesy of: Whole Yum


















Spaghetti squash, sautéd veggies and cheese, sounds like a winning combination to me! I love how colorful this dish is. This recipe is easily adaptable and a great way to use up any leftover veggies you have in your refrigerator. This dish would go nicely with some sausage, grilled chicken or shrimp and a salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment