Saturday, January 17, 2015

Semi-Homemade Trader Joe's Meals

I'm obsessed with Trader Joe's. Not only are Trader Joe's prices extremely competitive, but the selection and quality of the frozen food is outstanding as well. I personally have been having fun using the frozen food and adding a few ingredients to make a delicious gourmet meal. today I thought I was share some of my favorite "semi-homemade" recipes.
Top-Pulled pork nachos, Bottom Left-Chicken Francese, Bottom Right- Eggplant Parmesan

1) Pulled pork nachos- I was first introduced to pulled pork nachos during a trip to Boston.  I  never had been a big fan of nachos before, but I absolutely loved the pulled pork nachos and knew I would have to figure out an easy way to recreate that delicious combination of pulled pork, cheese and tortilla chips. I make my pulled pork nachos by first microwaving the pulled pork according to the directions on the packaging. I then create the nachos by putting a layer of tortilla chips on a plate. Next, I cover the tortilla chips with the pulled pork, lite mexican cheese blend and black beans. I microwave the nachos for one minute in order to get the cheese to melt. I then top the plate with a generous helping of guacamole

2) Chicken Francese-  Trader Joe's breaded chicken is great on it's own, but I decided to take those breaded chicken breasts and kick them up a notch by adding a francese sauce. I followed the directions from With a Grateful Prayer and a Thankful Heart, which entailed bringing some chicken broth and lemon juice to a boil. I then added a teaspoon of flour and 3 tablespoons of butter and let simmer until the sauce was reduced to a half. I added a little parsley to the sauce at the end. I  heated the breaded chicken in the microwave according to the directions on the packaging and served along with some sautéed zucchini, broccoli and mashed potatoes. I then poured the francese sauce over the chicken and added a few slices of lemon to garnish.  This Chicken Francese is perfect when you are in need of some comfort food and is also an easy weeknight dinner. 

3) Eggplant Parmesan- Eggplant parmesan is one of my favorite italian dishes. Using Trader Joe's breaded eggplant cutlets it's super easy to make your own homemade version of eggplant parmesan. This can be made in the oven or you can use a microwave. If you use a oven, first pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Then you simply put the breaded eggplant cutlets in a oven proof pan,  add tomato sauce on top of the eggplant cutlets and then finally add shredded mozzarella on the very top. Bake for 20-25 minutes. You can tell the eggplant parmesan is cooked when the cheese is melted. If you use a microwave you add some tomato sauce and mozzarella on top of the eggplant cutlets and then microwave according to the directions on the eggplant cutlet box. 

Stay tuned for future posts because I will be including more great tips for different ways to use Trader Joe's frozen products. 



No comments:

Post a Comment