Sunday, February 26, 2012

Oscar Party



Anyone that knows me knows how I love throwing an Oscar party. This year I wanted my Oscar party to exude hollywood glamour and I wanted fun, easy to eat finger food, which guests could easily eat while watching TV at the same time. 




Inspiration: 
My inspiration for this table setting came from Rachel Ray's Oscar Party: www.rachaelraymag.com/easy-party-ideas/great-get-togethers/theme-party-menus/oscar-party. I loved how Rachel Ray used a red runner on the table to represent a red carpet.  I really  liked how the red runner popped on the white tabecloth. I also loved the gold stars that Rachel Ray scattered on the table.



Décor: Along with using a red runner my table setting also included director clapboard platters, black plates with gold stars, black napkins with gold stars, gold & red glitter votive candles, popcorn box cartons and red & white daises. All of these décor elements exhibited the hollywood theme I wanted to portray through the décor. 




Where I Bought Each Item: 
Black plates, black napkins, director clapboard platters, popcorn cartons:  www.partycity.com


Red & Gold Glitter Candles: B&J Florist Supply, NYC; (212)564-6086


Red & White Daises: Trader Joe's, www.traderjoes.com/index.asp


Menu: 


For this menu I wanted to choose delicious finger food that had an upscale Academy Award's feel, but was still easy for guests to eat. 


Fresh Fig Spread: http://frenchfood.about.com/od/dips/r/Fresh-Fig-Spread-Recipe.htm?rd=1 
*I put the spread on toasted french rounds with brie cheese



Mini Open Faced Steak Sandwiches on Garlic Bread with Aged Provolone & Parsley Oil:

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/mini-open-faced-steak-sandwiches-on-garlic-bread-with-aged-provolone-and-parsley-oil-recipe/index.html

Roasted Beet Salad with Feta: 
http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/salads/r/beetsalad.htm

Baked Sweet Potato Fries: www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-sweet-potato-fries-recipe/index.html

Do-It-Yourself Truffles: 
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chocolate_truffles/



Trader Joe's 12 Classic Lemon Bars: Pre-Made from Trader Joe's, www.traderjoes.com/index.asp
* Trader Joe's is a great source for miniature sized pre-made desserts


Sidecar: Recipe from InStyle Parties book:
(serves 12)
Mix 1 1/2 cups triple sec, 1 1/2 cups brandy and 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice with ice. Shake, strain and pour into martini glass (sugared rim optional). 
* I decided to make the drinks more old-school hollywood by putting the sidecar in a low-ball crystal glass. 



No comments:

Post a Comment